Monday 30 January 2012

Week One


 The website I chose for this week's inspiration collection is me & oli, an indie clothing site. I chose it because it was the first site that caught my eye. I love the design of this site – it uses a cute forest theme and manages to be somehow delicate and bold at the same time – reflecting the type of clothing it sells. One aspect that I think is really interesting and innovative is that each visitor of the site has the ability to customize the way they view it to a certain extent. You choose the type of garment and can scroll through shapes and patterns, giving the impression that you are the one designing the clothes. The mannequin on which the clothes are shown is also customizable – you can choose from seven forrest critter heads and feet, creating your very own little model. I like this because it makes the website fun to use as well as interesting to look at. I also like that the only thing in colour on the entire page is the garment on the creature-model. The way it's executed puts the emphasis on the clothing, but doesn't take away from all the other beautiful things to look at on the page. The interface is really simple to use, as well, which adds to the appeal. I don't think I would change anything about the design of this website.



The logo I decided upon for this week is for something called unplugged. I'm not exactly sure what it's for, but I like it. I like the simplicity and the subtle brilliance behind the design. I'm a fan of creative use of font, and I think this logo is a really great example of it. I like everything about this design, it's genius without being flashy or prestigious. It's also fun to be able to look at the end of the logo and switch back and forth between seeing it as an unplugged plug, and the “ED” in the word unplugged. I honestly just can't get over how clever it is, and I love when things are clever. The only thing I might change about the design of this logo would be maybe to add some colour to it, but the colour pallet it uses now works well with the simplicity of design, letting the creativity of the design take centre-stage rather than trying to overcompensate with excessive colours. Although I think a tiny splash of colour, maybe some orange, could add to the overall design of the logo without being overbearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment